Across every one of our 200+ roles, the ADF offers excellent career opportunities for women. We champion equality and provide a uniquely supportive and inclusive workplace.
Many ADF roles have day-job hours, giving you plenty of opportunities to socialise, spend time with your family, play sport and make the most of extensive fitness and leisure facilities on base.
You'll make friends for life through memorable shared experiences such as supporting peacekeeping and disaster-relief missions and participating in exercises.
We support ADF parents to manage their family commitments without it affecting their careers, including flexible working arrangements, maternity/paternity leave and 'on hold' career options. We also provide substantial housing subsidies and can assist with:
- Childcare placement assistance
- Additional health support for dependents in regional posting locations
- Leave and financial assistance to help with home moves
- Partner employment assistance
- Programs for settling into a new community
It's important for ADF personnel to be fit enough to carry out their duties. Keeping fit will be an integral part of your job and an added bonus is that you’ll get paid while doing it.
On most bases you'll have access to a wide range of team sports along with swimming pools and well-equipped fitness facilities.
This guide will help you to get started on your fitness journey, including practising correct techniques for your Pre-entry Fitness Assessment (PFA) and tips for success.
If you want to experience life in the ADF but are concerned about the number of years you have to commit to, a number of roles require just a two-year commitment.
- When serving in a specific location is a high priority for reasons such as family.
- Available for your first posting after completion of recruit and initial training, where desired location is near a military base.
- Open to all General Entry (non-technical) roles in the Army and Air Force.
- Available if you demonstrate high potential when interviewed and want to join as soon as possible.
- Open to General Entry roles in the Army and Air Force where a military base is near your desired location.
- For females and Indigenous Australians who join the Air Force with a relevant Bachelor degree in aviation from an Australian university and meet eligibility criteria.
- You may be eligible to have your academic costs reimbursed.